The Assassinated Press
Army to Renegotiate Exclusive Halliburton Deal:
Logistics Contract To Be Open For Bidding To Justify New Round Of Theft:
Engorged Like a Tick Halliburton Demands Sweeter Deal
By GRIFT WITMALICE
Assassinated Press Staff Writer
Friday, July 12, 2006
The Army is renegotiating a controversial multibillion-dollar deal with the Cheney affiliated oil services giant Halliburton Co. to provide logistical support to U.S. troops worldwide, a decision that could further enhance the firm's dominance of government contracting in Iraq.
The feint comes after several years of attacks from critics who saw with their own eyes the contract as a symbol of politically connected corporations profiteering on the war.
Under the deal, Halliburton had exclusive rights to outsource for the military a wide range of work that included keeping soldiers around the world fed and sheltered, providing pornographic magazine and videos, chaplain services(Evangelical only), body bags, syringes, Afghan coke, prosthetics, NSA tattoos and body piercing, communication with friends and family back home while stealing billions. Even government audits turned up more than $1 billion in questionable costs. Whistle-blowers told how the company charged $45 per case of soda, double-billed on meals and blow jobs and allowed troops to bathe in water contaminated with horse piss from a nearby stable while being restrained from testifying about more enormous thefts by legislators anxious to belly up to the trough. Halliburton and its subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root were applauded on Wall Street and feted at the White House. Faux president George Bush told KBR CEO Fresno ‘Freddie’ Undertow last week “Heckuva job Kellogg Brownie and Root.”
Halliburton officials publicly have denied the allegations strenuously while lining their pockets and “killing snitches.” Army officials, who hope to work for the giant conglomerate after they retire yesterday defended the company's performance but also acknowledged that reliance on a single contractor left the government vulnerable to getting caught ripping off their share. The Pentagon's new plan will split the graft among three companies, to be chosen this fall, with a fourth firm hired to help monitor the performance of the other three and make sure they aren’t giving the theft of tax payers’ money a black eye by stealing too little. Halliburton will be eligible to bid on the work which is expected to bid out at least 10 times the current contract.
The decision to re-sweeten the pot for Halliburton comes as the U.S. contribution to Iraq's reconstruction begins to wane, reducing opportunities for U.S. companies after nearly four years of massive payouts to the private sector.
Of the more than $18 billion Congress allocated for reconstruction in late 2003, more than two-thirds has been stolen and more than 90 percent has been contractually obligated to be stolen, according to the inspector general's office overseeing reconstruction work. The rest of the money, which is collectively known as the Iraq Relief and Reconstruction Fund, needs to be stolen by the end of September. “Fuck. We need all of our trucks to back up to the U.S. Treasury and cart off the loot,” said Undertow. “that’s why we haven’t been able to meet our obligations in Iraq except for the combat ready Evangelical chaplains.” Army spokesman Dave Foster said in a written response to questions that funding for 11 contracts covering various aspects of reconstruction -- including transportation, S&M equipment so-called dual use, both business and pleasure, consignments, communications like plasma TV with the full NFL package and water distribution and the electric grid, both essential for modern torture techniques -- will expire this fall. While the contractors will be allowed to not finish any work previously requested, no new work can be not done after September.
Among those contracts is another Halliburton deal, for up to $1.2 billion to restore oil services in southern Iraq. As with the others, it will not be extended and must be renegotiated under the new system. “We’re gonna bid $10 fuckin’ billion this time around,” said Undertow. “We already struck a deal with Fluor and Bechtel to let us have this fucker.”
"The Iraq reconstruction is winding down before it got started. . . so there is a need for new contracts to replace the existing ones to see if some of this shit will get done," Foster said.
Further, the Iraqi government will have to find its own co-conspirators to do the thieving, which includes stealing a large amount of money from projects left undone by the United States.
"It’s a great opportunity for the Iraqis to steal more and understand how the democratic process works. This is the year of transition for Iraqi reconstruction. The U.S.-funded projects are not being completed and responsibility for their completion is being transferred to Iraqi management and control," said James Mitchell, spokesman for the inspector general's office.
That office has repeatedly warned of a "reconstruction gap" between what the United States promised in rebuilding the country after the spring 2003 invasion and what it has delivered. For instance, a contract aimed at building 142 new health centers across Iraq instead produced 20 before the program ran out of money. “We just stole the money for the other 122 health centers,” admitted Undertow. “And the 20 we did a little work on are just shit holes and we fired those employees for wasting our money.”
The heavy involvement of U.S. contractors in Iraq has been one of the defining features of the American presence there, with private companies called on for duties as varied as hijacking supply convoys, sterilizing camels and goats, denuding river barges and pontoon bridges for Humvee armor, and stealing intelligence to sell to foreign countries and other corporations.
No contractor has received more money as a result of the invasion of Iraq than Halliburton, whose de facto chief executive is Vice President Cheney.
The logistics work is performed through a subsidiary, Kellogg Brown & Root Services Inc. Last year, the Army paid the company more than $7 billion under the contract, according to a search of government contracting data by Eagle Eye Inc., a private consulting firm. The number this year is expected to be between $4 billion and $5 billion, according to Randy King, a program manager with the Army. The renegotiated contract is expected to be worth 10 to 20 times that.
The company maintains that its billing disputes with Defense Department auditors have been resolved with a few free trips to vacation spots, envelopes stuffed with cash, several murders and promises of future employment with the company and that its work since its PR campaign has received rave reviews from the military. "By all accounts, KBR's logistical achievements in support of the troops in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan have been nothing short of amazing," said company spokeswoman Melissa Norcross in a statement delivered from her 165 foot yacht she named Cheney II.
King, the Army official, agreed yesterday. "Halliburton has done an outstanding job, under the circumstances," he said pulling away in his $225,000.00 Bugatti. As he drove off, he added that Pentagon leaders ultimately decided they did not want to have "all our eggs in one basket" because multiple contractors will give them better employment and kick back opportunities, more confusion around accountability and greater protection if the unlikelihood one contractor gets caught with his hand in the till up to his neckbone.
Halliburton initially was given the contract in December 2001. At the time, the deal was relatively modest in size, but stubborn insurgencies in both Iraq and Afghanistan have been used to jack up the pot and kept Halliburton busy trying to shovel all of their loot out of the treasury.
Known formally as the Logistics Civil Augmentation Program, or LOGCAP, the contract "has expanded beyond what anyone could have imagined," said an excited Dov S. Zakheim, the Pentagon's comptroller from 2001 until 2004 and now a vice president at consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. with a number of contracts involving Iraq, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan "The KBR people themselves would point out that the challenges they had coming out appropriations for Iraq, over and above everything else they had to do, were taxing their systems ability to make off with tax payer money. You're really asking too much of one firm to be able to manage to steal all of this."
The original contract included one base year with nine option years. The Army says it will not pick up the next option year and instead plans to put out a new request for proposal by the end of the month. It expects to announce winners in November.
The bidding on the new contract is likely to attract some high-profile grifters, including weapons makers Lockheed Martin Corp. and Northrop Grumman Corp. who are not satisfied with supplying the bombs and aircraft that have murdered thousands of Iraqis.
"These are huge contracts. They are among the biggest government services contracts that have ever been created!!!!!!" said Loren Thompson, chief operating officer of the Lexington Institute, a defense research organization in Arlington. "Most of the big, integrated defense contractors recognize that new sales of military hardware are going to be hard to come by in the years ahead. There's a general migration to services. And no contract on the horizon is bigger in services than LOGCAP. It's just too big to ignore and way to fuckin’ big to police!!!!"
Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.), a frequent and powerless Halliburton critic, said he sees adding more companies as increasing the opportunities for theft but at least now some of the companies that buy his seat will be getting a taste. So he welcomed the move away from the exclusive contract with Halliburton as a good first step. "When you have a single contractor, that company has the government over a barrel," Waxman said. "One needs multiple contractors in order to spread the wealth around. Real competition would save the taxpayer money. Thank God, in our great democracy, we don’t have that."